Saturday, February 03, 2007

One Week to Go...

...Until I get my life back. One week until our "Shadowcatcher" premiere. I'm both excited and excited to get it done. I've been doing double duty rehearsals for the last month and it has been killing me. I want some of my evenings back, and I want my practice time back. But I also want to perform the hell out of this thing, so it's going to be great when we do it. It really is a shame we're only doing it once, it would be great to take it on the road and play it a few times around, but the school has no money for that.

Actually, I had a good discussion with a few people around UVic about the concept of touring with a group. They have not done that in a while here, and it's rare at that. Us U of L grads should consider ourselves very lucky to have had those opportunities to travel, even if it only was to the middle of nowhere sometimes. People were shocked that we went somewhere every year, and pretty far at that. They've gone to Vancouver before... but so did we, and I'm pretty sure that was harder for us. Plus Washington, Manitoba I hear this year, too. So it turned out to be interesting which things get sacrificed in a budget.

In other news, I've been sick for the last few days with a nasty stomach virus that seems to be "going around". Such horse shit, I wanted to kill everyone in that school who was sick, but didn't stay home, and neglected to wash their hands, coughed all over the place, and generally spread their disease around. I ended up getting sick around 11pm on Monday night, and not being able to sleep for a full 24 hours after that due to chronic vomiting. Good times...

Wednesday was disappointing, since I had rehearsals that I had to cancel because I figured the little food I had eaten (green jell-o) was destined to be coming out of my spit valve if I tried to play. I hate taking time off from playing, unless I actually want to take the time off!

Thursday was good though... I ate some toast and that felt good, and I went to play. I refused to miss that orchestra rehearsal, since we were sight-reading some music, and I had heard we were doing "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" (of Fantasia fame), and it has a great bass bone excerpt in it that I wanted to play. And we also did the Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique, but that almost killed me, since I was not physically able to play that much.

Friday was better, and I played for some good amount of time. We did a run through with the band for Shadowcatcher, and it seemed to go well. The group is sounding good, and we figure all should be ready to go. Got some great posters, and they are doing special programs for this concert (they use the same format for everything at this school - no money for originality either).

This weekend, I'm going to take it easy. I've got nothing to do, so I figure I'll relax, practice a bit, and generally lounge around. Listen to music.

That's what's been going down out here, hope all are well!

1 comment:

Inoj said...

How was that premier? I want to hear all about it-- and I want a recording too!